Just in: Man United captain Maguire detained on Greek island
Manchester United captain Harry Maguire was detained on the Greek island of Mykonos after allegedly being involved in a brawl.
“The soccer player was verbally abusive to an officer and then hit him,” the three were resisting when brought to the Mykonos police station,” a police official said.
Manchester United issued a statement saying they were aware of the incident involving Maguire.
“The club is aware of an alleged incident involving Maguire in Mykonos last night. Contact has been made with Harry, and he is fully co-operating with the Greek authorities. At this time we will be making no further comment,” it said.
Manchester City vs Aston Villa and Burnley vs Manchester United have been postponed to allow City and United extra time to rest from their European campaigns, which finished four weeks before the 2020/21 Premier League season begins.
Maguire and the two other detainees will be taken by ship to the nearby island where they will face charges by a public prosecutor.
Premier League 2020/21 – opening weekend fixtures
- C. Palace v Southampton – Sept 12
- Fulham v Arsenal – Sept 12
- Liverpool v Leeds – Sept 12
- Tottenham v Everton – Sept 12
- West Brom v Leicester City – Sept 12
- West Ham v Newcastle – Sept 12
- Brighton v Chelsea – Sept 14
- Sheff Utd v Wolves – Sept 14
- Burnley v Man Utd – Postponed
- Man City v Aston Villa – Postponed