How to file KRA returns online or iTax filing.
The steps to filing KRA returns is almost common for all type of returns, the only thing which differs from each type of tax returns is the details which you need to furnish and the format in which you need to submit it.
The following are the steps for filing KRA returns.
- Visit the iTax filing portal using https://itax.kra.go.ke/KRA-Portal/
- Login to iTAX portal with PIN and password
- Click on ‘e-Returns’ or select ‘Returns’ from the navigation menu and click on ‘File Returns’
- Select the Type, Enter your taxpayer’s PIN and selects the Tax obligation applicable to you and Click ‘Next’
- Based on the tax obligation you have selected, it opens the relevant tax form. For example, if you have selected ‘VAT’ has your tax obligation, it will open VAT return form.
- This page will take you through the filling process and will have detailed instructions to file tax returns.
- The instruction will also have links to download the tax returns form in Excel or ODS format. Click relevant link to download the template and save it in your computer.
- Fill all applicable areas in the downloaded tax returns form and save your document in your computer.
- Make sure you enable macros to be able to ‘Validate’ and Zip your File.
- Go to the iTax tax return filing page and select the period for which you are filling the returns.
- Upload the zip file and agree to the terms and conditions by the ticking the checkbox.
- Finally, click ‘Submit’ button to upload the returns and click ‘OK’ for the pop-up message ‘Do you want to upload the form’
On filing KRA Returns, an e-return receipt will be generated with message return submitted successfully along with acknowledgement number.
iTax filing process is very simple provided all the details required are in the downloaded excel is readily available with you. For business, it becomes much easier for filing KRA Returns, if they are using software which can auto-capture the details into excel format as prescribed in the iTax filing system and upload it to compete the process of filing KRA returns.