Uber requirements for vehicles in Kenya as of 2019.
Uber Kenya Vehicle Requirements
Model year must be 2006 or newer
Selected 2-door cars
The motor vehicle registration book
Vehicle inspection report
Uber offers three options, the Uber Chap Chap, Uber Select and Uber X. Uber select is the most expensive while Uber Chap Chap is the cheapest. Fares for Uber Chap Chap start at Ksh 100 while Uber X starts at Ksh 150.
Vehicle Requirements for Uber X
- 4-door sedan in good condition
- Seat at least 4 passengers in addition to the driver
- Working windows and air conditioning
- No full-sized vans or trucks vehicles
- No salvaged or rebuilt vehicles
- Selected cars models year 2006 or newer qualify to drive with uberX
Mazda – Demio (1300cc and below)
Toyota – Viti (1300cc and below), Prius (1300cc and below), Belta (1300cc and below), Passo (1300cc and below), Yaris (1300cc and below)
Mitsubishi – Colt (1300cc and below)
Nissan – March (1300cc and below), Note (1300cc and below), Leaf (1300cc and below)
Suzuki – Swift (1300cc and below)
Honda – FIT (1300cc and below), Insight (1300cc and below), Civic (1300cc and below), Jazz (1300cc and below)
Daihatsu – MIRA (1300cc and below)
Kia – Niro (1300cc and below)
It was introduced in 2018 as a quick and affordable option for Nairobi residents. Most newer cars qualify to drive with uberCHAPCHAP.
- Suzuki Alto 800 in good condition
- Car model year 2017 or newer qualify to drive with uberCHAPCHAP
One good thing about driving with uber is the fact that one can drive at their convenient times and also the driver can make extra cash by applying to be a courier for Uber Eats; delivering the Uber Eats food order
1. Sign up online
Got an email address and a smartphone? Great, now tell us a bit more about yourself and we’ll get you started.
2. Upload your documents
Time for some paperwork. There are some of the documents we need to see:
- National identity card (must be over 24 years old)
- PSV driving license
- Complete a safety screening (Nairobi and Mombasa)
- Complete a Certification session
- Provide a driver profile photo
- Must be a forward-facing, centered photo including the driver’s full face and top of shoulders, with no sunglasses
- Must be a photo only of the driver with no other subject in the frame, well-lit, and in focus. It cannot be a driver’s license photo or other printed photograph
3. Get a vehicle
Make sure that your vehicle is in excellent working and physical condition so that it meets our standards in Kenya. Remember, your vehicle will be able to receive uberX and uberCHAPCHAP trips.
4. Activate your account
If you’ve completed all the above steps, congratulations! You’re ready to activate your account and start making money.